Thursday, March 7, 2013

Journey 5: Islamic London (Eat, Pray, Love)


I’ve been thinking a lot about life recently. This is a busy time in my life (though to me, it seems like it should be the most relaxing), but it is also very conducive to changing my perspective on life. Having Dan McVey as a professor is quite an experience all on its own, but having him while abroad is like having your cake AND eating it too. Not only are we learning about Christianity in light of Islam (and vice versa), we are meeting people who are giving us firsthand experience with this issue. So far I’ve met a moderate Muslim, a progressive Muslim, an ex-Jihadist, and an archbishop. We’ve had guests come speak to us in class, but this past Monday, our Cross and Crescent class (which is all but one person in our group) took a field trip to London for the day to visit two mosques.

The first was the London Central Mosque, which houses a fairly conservative group of Muslims. All of us females had to bring scarves with which to cover our hair before we could go in. They were very nice and we got a good tour of the building. But all the information we received was basically everything we had talked about before in class, so we didn’t learn anything new. However, we only spent an hour there before moving on to our next stop.

Mosque number two was a great experience. The Muslims there are part of the Ahmadiyya branch. They are a small, but growing, group of Islam. They are also one of the most persecuted groups in the Middle East. This is due to some key differences in their beliefs that make them controversial (such as the belief in a prophet after Muhammad). Unlike the other mosque, in terms of the hijab, they are more progressive. We did not have to cover our hair, even when we walked into the men’s part of the mosque.

The best part of our trip there was most definitely the food. They served us “a light Indian lunch” that consisted of salad, rice, curry (both chicken and vegetarian), naan bread, and ice cream for dessert. It was some of the most delicious food (though some of the members were worried it would be too spicy for us). Then just a couple hours later, we had a tea break where there was a whole panoply of all sorts of biscuits, chocolate, candy, crisps, and nuts for us. And then, because “we had a long drive ahead of us,” they said, we each received a packed dinner to take on the road. They were so sweet!

In my interactions with Muslims so far, I have noticed two key similarities: the love of food and of people. Food really is such a great way for people to have community with each other. Everybody has to eat. I’ve noticed this during several of my trips since I’ve been here. I’ve gotten to know people in the house through meals together. Most of the strangers that I end up conversing with I met while out at a pub or someplace similar. It’s usually some activity that involves food in some way. I’m not really sure why, I just know that it’s true.

They also have such a heart for people. One of the biggest themes in Islam is to do good in the world, to do good to others. This belief is not so different from our Christian beliefs (though the emphasis they place on it is not quite the same as ours). Jesus says you will know people by their fruit. It’s hard to condemn a group of people that seem so morally righteous, to say that they have it all wrong, when a lot of them seem to be better people than I am.

Some big questions have been raised over these past six weeks: How is Islam connected to Christianity? Do we worship the same God? Where does Jesus fit in? Is conversion our main goal in life? I’m still struggling with all of these because I don’t think Islam is complete. I really believe that there is a lot left to chance in their faith because, without the salvation of Jesus, it really is just a hope that the good outweighs the bad in the end. I don’t even want to think about what would be in store for me if that were the case…

But is conversion, then, what we should strive for? No one can convince anyone of any biblical truth. No amount of beating someone over the head with Scripture is going to do the job. You just can’t prove anything in the Bible. Which I understand is the beauty of faith. It wouldn’t be faith if you could prove it.

So then, how do we reconcile this in our own lives? As someone who wants to go into Christian Ministry (in some capacity), what does this mean for my future and how I interact with others? I can’t prove my own beliefs, which also means I can’t disprove other people’s beliefs.

What I’m gathering through various conversations with people is that there are a lot of things that people focus on that don’t really matter in the long run. As cliché as it sounds, I think it really does all boil down to love. When you remove all the stuff that people get hung up on, what’s left is the need to love and take care of others. And, honestly, that’s the only way I’ve been able to have any sort of witness. It reminds me of the For King & Country song, “Proof of Your Love”:
           
“Let my life be the proof,
            The proof of Your love
            Let my love like You, and what You’re made of
            How You lived, how You died
            Love is sacrifice
            So let my life be the proof,
            The proof of Your love”

Love is sacrifice. What a powerful statement. God is love. He sacrificed for us and has called us to love others. I know I’ve said this before, but living in such close community with over 30 other people is really testing this. What do you do when a large group of people has a dinner together, but leaves a sink full of dishes to clean in your kitchen? Do you grouse about it to anyone who’ll listen? Do you clean just what you need for your next meal and leave the rest? Or do you take time out of your day to clean up a mess that had nothing to do with you? (That’s kind of a petty example, but it is very relevant.)

So then what about when you meet someone of a different faith, or someone who doesn’t have a faith?  How do we respond? How should we respond? I have friends who aren’t Christians, so it’s not like this is a new situation for me. But before, I would just avoid the discussion of religion, like it didn’t really matter or wasn’t important to our friendship whether or not we shared the same faith.

I think it is an important topic, though, because how much of what I do in life is because of my faith? How can that be seen as irrelevant if it’s so pervasive in my life? I’m glad I’m finally learning how to have those conversations. It’s ok to disagree (and I’m learning how to disagree), but I’m moving away from the idea that conversion is what we’re striving for. I think that’s the height of hubris. I can’t convert anyone anyway. We have so many conflicts within Christianity as well, so it’s not like these conversations end as soon as someone converts. Instead of striving to tell people about Jesus, I think it’s more important to show Jesus. You can never go wrong with love. It may cost you time or money, but that’s why it’s a sacrifice.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope what I was trying to say made it through, and if not, well it’s because I’m still working through it myself! I’d love to hear what some of your thoughts are, if you’re willing to share!

4 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful to see you having these thoughts, it's really a step in maturing your faith and your acceptance of uncertainty. My whole time at ACU really led me to where I am now, having a very open hand/heart/mind when it comes to faith and theology and how to live it out. The class that really clicked it for me was my Christian Mysticism class, and from then on that's what I chose to call myself, because what it's all about it love, like you said. There are atheists and people from any other non-Christian belief that I believe are closer to Jesus than many "Christians" because they understand and show love. If God is Love (1 John 4:8) and Jesus and God are one (John 10:30), then anyone who lives for the love of God can, in a way, be in touch with Jesus. And those who claim to follow Jesus but live with hate, violence, pride, etc, really aren't in touch with Jesus at all. So I think, with that in mind, living a life of love without the attachment of naming Jesus leads people in the right direction, and they see Jesus even without realizing it. From the mystic and feminist, post-colonial, deconstructive and anarchist theologies I've been reading, I've really separated a lot from traditional "church" theology so I really don't feel like I fit in with the 'normal' churches anymore. Like you are seeing, conversion is a strange issue, because Jesus tells disciples to proclaim "the gospel," but what is the gospel? If you think about it (and listen to NT Wright), the gospel is simply the story of Jesus, not that he died for salvation. Just the story of his life and death and resurrection. "The Gospel according to Matthew/Mark/Luke/John/etc" contain his life story, not just that one scene. So when we go out and talk about Jesus, it's not to convert them to save them, it's to tell them a beautiful story about the beauty of God as a human, and live the story of God/Jesus as well as lived by the Holy Spirit in us, and what does that mean? To LOVE, unconditionally, where people are, even with their issues. It means giving each individual what they need, whether it's basic necessities, protection, comfort, a smack on the back of the head for being a self-righteous jerk, etc. Love is personal and provides what each person needs, and LIVING that love in your daily life, even without mentioning Jesus, is just as much as "spreading the gospel" because YOU BECOME the story of Jesus, you become the gospel! It's only sweetened by being able to talk about the original gospel of Jesus.

    Ok, that was more than I intended to write, haha, I'm just so excited that you are having this experience of thinking about and confronting yourself and your own faith in light of others. Dan McVey really made me do the same when he told stories of his experiences in Africa. Wild stuff.

    I love you!! Thanks again for the postcard <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to throw this out there: as a big word person (and a definite believer in de Saussure's theory on language), I have a hard time taking in other labels because of the connotations they bring (things like mysticism and anarchy, for example). I think that's a lot of the world's problems is that we have all these cultural associations with certain terms, and it's hard to get past that. If de Saussure is to be believed (which I think he is), it's basically impossible, so it's just something we have to work around...

    However, I appreciate you taking on this discussion with me. I liked your point about proclaiming the gospel. That's an interesting take that I haven't heard or thought about before.

    Love you too! You're welcome. Glad it made it there safely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I totally agree about labels, they are incredibly problematic and create as many misunderstandings as they do understandings. The way I use labels is with a very loose hand. I use them only to the extant that they are useful in conveying a general idea that I relate to, but I never proclaim that the label totally defines me or the entirety of everyone who takes on that label. Everyone is unique, and there is so much diversity within each broad label, so they are only good for making generalizations but definitely are pretty worthless once you start developing personal relationships with people, or once the people you are already in a relationship with can understand the idea you are trying to convey. Then you can be just you and everything that you are without having to attach specific words to yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. E, I think you're right on both counts: our task is to convert people, but to convert them to Love. There is only one source of Love.

    "There is a land of the living and a land of the dead, and the bridge is love--the only meaning, the only survival." -- Thornton Wilder

    Cole

    ReplyDelete